Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office is a legal practice specialized in serving international clients in various areas of law with an emphasis in commercial law, mining and energy law, banking & finance, mergers & acquisitions, aviation law, construction law, investment law and intellectual property law.
We pride ourselves on the superior quality of the services we provide. All of our clients receive the same level of personal care and attention applied to their case without compromising the need for a conscious time management and individualized, focused attention.
We speak your language
There’s no need for you to get bogged down in technical terms and legal jargon. We will explain every detail of your case to you and present your options and our recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
Expertise you can rely on
Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office has considerable experience in the practice of law in Ethiopia gained over many years. During this time we have gained a great deal of experience, an unparalleled reputation for client care that is second to none, and a track record of achieving superior results in every case.
We are continuously growing our knowledge and experience to ensure we are at the top level of competence in our areas of practice.
Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office has an understanding that the circumstances and needs of each of our clients vary. We offer flexible fee arrangements depending on the needs of each particular client and give a clear understanding of the fees which will be involved for our services.
Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office is involved in a broad spectrum of commercial work, both contentious and non-contentious.
We have experience in:
- Assisting clients in their negotiations and conclusion of contracts including but not limited to leases, joint ventures, investment agreements, manufacturing agreements, project development agreements, distribution agreements, negotiable instruments and other commercial related agreements.
- Providing legal advice on the regulatory environment in Ethiopia based mainly on the Civil Code of 1960, Commercial Code Proclamation, 1960, the Commercial Registration and Business Licensing Proclamation No. 686 of 2010 and the Investment laws.
- Commercial litigation and arbitration that arise from a range of corporate, commercial and other transactions.
- Provision of advice on the operation and termination of agreements, as well as the negotiation and settlement of disputes before proceedings are commenced.
- Tax matters.
Banking & Finance:
The firm helps clients structure their loan / credit transactions, to protect the clients’ best legal and commercial interests, and to negotiate and document the contractual relationship between lenders and borrowers from an Ethiopian law perspective in collaboration with other global law firms.
We have considerable experience in various types of loan transactions including:
- Straightforward bank lending: Both bilateral (made by one bank to the borrower) or syndicated (arranged by one or more financial institutions and made by a group of lenders).
- Real estate finance: Loans made to enable a borrower to acquire a property or finance the development of land, commonly secured by way of a mortgage on the acquired land/buildings.
- Project finance: The financing of long-term infrastructure, particularly roads and power plants set up by the Ethiopia Electric Power, formerly Ethiopia Electric Power Corporation
- Asset finance: The financing of the purchase and operation of large assets by Ethiopian Airlines and Ethiopian Shipping & Logistics Service Enterprise
Mining and Energy law:
Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office practice in this regards focuses on the development, construction and financing of major natural resource (oil/gas, mining) and power projects.
Our experience comprises of:
- Preparation of extensive memorandums and due diligence reports on the regulatory environment in Ethiopia
- Assisting upstream foreign businesses negotiate favourable terms with the regulatory authorities in Ethiopia, mainly the Ministry of Mines and Ethiopia Energy Authority.
- Review and/or drafting of agreements related to, among other, mining agreements
Intellectual Property law:
We assist major international companies with the prosecution, maintenance and defense of their trademarks, patents, industrial designs and copyrights
In particular, we:
- Undertake patent and trademark searches
- Assist clients secure and enforce their legal rights to their trademarks, inventions, designs, and artistic works by obtaining appropriate registrations with the Ethiopian Intellectual Property Office. Once registered we ensure that these registrations are renewed or annuity paid in good time
- Record assignments, change of address and change of name on behalf of the trademark owners
- Provide opinions on various issues with regard to intellectual property rights based on the laws in Ethiopia, among them, trademarks, patents, industrial designs, utility models, plant breeders rights and copyright
- Take appropriate measures on behalf of our clients to stop the unauthorized use of intellectual property by third parties by issuing cease-and-desist letters, filing opposition applications, counterfeit raids, providing trademark watch services for marks under our care or instituting court actions for orders of injunctions and/or damages.
Mergers & Acquisitions:
Ethiopian laws are still at the formative stages insofar as M& A transactions are concerned. For instance, there is no stock exchange in Ethiopia and most of the laws in this regards have recently being formulated or yet to be revised to be in line with the worldwide progress. We have, however, in collaboration with international law firms, developed a niche practice with regard to investors acquiring shares in existing companies in Ethiopia and a few that consolidate as part of a restructuring exercise in ensuring, among other legal requirements, that the transactions comply with Ethiopian employment, tax and antitrust laws.
Our practice in this respect involves:
- Conducting due diligence, normally based on documents and company searches, on the formation of the company in Ethiopia, loan liabilities of the company, pending suits, regulatory compliance on various issues including but limited to environmental issues, employees safety and health requirements, foreign exchange regulatory matters, competition laws, etc
- Advising clients on selling, acquiring and combining businesses in line with Ethiopian laws
- Looking at the overall framework for operations to ensure that they are compliant with the applicable laws
- Advising the board of directors on special transactions and steps they would be required to undertake
Presumably in a bid to protect its aviation industry, the laws currently in force restrict air transport to the Ethiopian government and Ethiopian nationals only. This has limited the number of transactions in this area. Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office nevertheless has experience, on individual capacities and as a firm, in providing jurisdictional analysis for various aviation bodies and institutions, assisting manufactures lease aircrafts in Ethiopia and financiers provide financing for the purchase of aircrafts by Ethiopian airline entities.
Charities and Societies law:
Tamrat Assefa Liban Law Office assists clients without shareholders and/or profit motive conduct business in Ethiopia for the benefit of the general public.
We assist clients mainly with the formation and registration of local and international charitable organizations, filing of annual statements, payment of tax for those involved in profitable businesses, advice on compliance with budget allocations, formation of boards among other legal issues.